Hi there! Thank you for visiting my website.
What do you do?
In my former life I was an academic. I have a doctorate in cognitive neuroscience. I was Bye-Fellow and College Lecturer, as well as Director of Studies, in Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Downing College, University of Cambridge. For further information about my research, please follow the link here.
I then wanted to use my academic knowledge in an applied context, so I became a behavioural science consultant. In short, I helped various blue-chip companies with some of their psychology/neuroscience-related problems. For more details about my career, please visit my LinkedIn page.
And now? I’ve decided to take the plunge and “reset” my life for a bit. I’ve moved back to my home country of Japan to re-explore my roots. While I recalibrate how I am to live from the heart from now on, I am currently doing freelance lecturing and tutoring. Watch this space!
What do you *really* do?
I personally see myself more as a scholar of life. What kind of living leads to more peace and happiness within? How does one calm the chatter in the mind? What is the most effective way to overcome hardships? Who am I? And the biggest question of them all – what is love? (in all senses of the word).
You will find my learnings on life in my blog.
The posts are a synthesis of what I have learnt from psychology, spirituality, neuroscience and practical experience.
What else do you do?
Whilst I see myself as a scholar of life, one way I deeply and practically examine it is through artistry. This includes: singing (musical theatre, classical and a cappella), dancing (jazz and ballet – I am also a qualified Zumba® instructor, and you can see my profile here), playing the piano, yoga, cooking, archery, meditation, 5Rhythms®, sketching, Kunlun Nei Gong, qi gong, trail/barefoot running and writing.
I also enjoy long hikes in nature, reading (to an almost compulsive level), watching films, sunshine, teaching/lecturing (whilst knowing ultimately there is nothing to be learnt), mentoring, connecting and getting to know people, wolves, hugs and eating plenty of delicious food 🙂
Fun Frivolous Facts
- I am mixed race and bilingual
- Favourite colour is red
- I have synesthesia
- I have trypophobia
- I am an ENFP on the Myers-Briggs Test (this article sums up who I am well)
- I am a Type 2 on the Enneagram Type Test
- I am both a highly sensitive person (HSP) and a high sensation seeker (HSS). In short, one foot is on the accelerator, the other is on the brake.
- I’m a virgo, but on cusp with libra
- I was born on the year of the fire tiger
- I am numerologically on life path 11/2, destiny number 11/2, soul urge 1, personality 1 (even my names individually are “Marie” (1) and “Buda” (1)…!)
- If you want to make me happy, one word: chocolate
- I’ve owned three hamsters – Charlie, Chino and Peko.
- I want an alpaca