Hi there! Thank you for visiting my website.
What do you do?
I am an avid lover of people and have an obsession with dissecting what makes us human. I have a doctorate in cognitive neuroscience, and I was Bye-Fellow and College Lecturer, as well as Director of Studies, in Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Downing College, University of Cambridge. In 2015, I was nominated and short-listed for Cambridge University Student Union’s Teaching Award (a Japanese TV programme filmed me at work, and you can watch with subtitles here) . For further information about my research, please follow the link here.
I then wanted to use my academic knowledge in an applied context, so I now work as an innovation consultant in behavioural science at Innovia Technology. In short, I help various blue-chip companies like P&G, Johnson and Johnson and General Mills with some of their psychology/neuroscience-related problems (see here for an example of a device I worked on to reduce road accidents). Everyday I get to get my teeth stuck into yummy problems, as well as come up with fun, left-field ideas with some incredibly talented and creative people – I count myself as very lucky!
My love of teaching has never left me though, so I also still work as an Oxbridge Interview Coach, as well as occasionally supervise undergraduates at the University of Cambridge. I also run another website: Psychology Degree Resource UK , a central resource for anyone wanting to apply to do a psychology degree in the United Kingdom.
For more details about my career, please visit my LinkedIn page.
What do you *really* do?
I personally see myself more as a scholar of life. Everyday I ponder on questions such as: What kind of living leads to more peace and happiness within? How does one calm the chatter in the mind? What is the most effective way to overcome hardships? Who am I? And the biggest question of them all – what is love? (in all senses of the word).
You will find my learnings on life in my blog.
My writings are a synthesis of what I have learnt from psychology, spirituality, neuroscience and practical experience.
What else do you do?
Whilst I see myself as a scholar of life, one way I deeply and practically examine it is through artistry. This includes: singing (musical theatre, classical and a cappella), dancing (jazz and ballet – I am also a qualified Zumba® instructor, and you can see my profile here), playing the piano, yoga, cooking, archery, meditation, 5Rhythms®, sketching, Kunlun Nei Gong, qi gong, trail/barefoot running and writing.
I also enjoy long hikes in nature, reading (to an almost compulsive level), watching films, sunshine, teaching/lecturing (whilst knowing ultimately there is nothing to be learnt), mentoring, connecting and getting to know people, wolves, cheetahs, alpacas, hugs and eating plenty of delicious food 🙂
Fun Frivolous Facts
- I am mixed race and bilingual.
- Favourite colour is red.
- I have synesthesia.
- I have trypophobia.
- I am an ENFP on the Myers-Briggs Test (this article sums up who I am well).
- I am a Type 2 on the Enneagram Type Test.
- I am both a highly sensitive person (HSP) and a high sensation seeker (HSS). In short, one foot is on the accelerator, the other is on the brake.
- I’m a Virgo (cusp with Libra – this describes me to a tee), Leo ascendant.
- I was born on the year of the fire tiger.
- I am numerologically on life path 11/2, destiny number 11/2, soul urge 1, personality 1 (even my names individually are “Marie” (1) and “Buda” (1)…!).
- 5/6 level old soul scholar, artist casting, spiritualist, goal of flow sliding to growth/acceptance. If any of this makes sense to you we should be friends.
- 2/4 Generator, Sacral authority, Right Angle Cross of the Vessel of Love. If any of this makes sense to you we should also be friends.
- If you want to make me happy, one word: chocolate.
- I’ve owned three hamsters – Charlie, Chino and Peko.
- I want to hug an alpaca.